Marcia L. Campbell, CPA: Reflections from a Military Veteran on What it Means to Serve

A row of flags and a symbol of the sacrifice we understand first-hand.

At Marcia L. Campbell, CPA, we are a military family and understand the sacrifice you have made. While this summer has proven to be a time of worldwide instability and conflict, making people nationwide think of how important it is to honor those who protect our freedoms. Because of this, we would like to extend a special salute to the brave veterans and military families who served and continue to serve as guardians of our freedom. We sat down with our founder’s husband, Frank, who is a proud military veteran, to illustrate our company’s deep-seated appreciation for your service. 

Marcia L. Campbell, CPA: Reflections from a Military Veteran on What it Means to Serve 

Sitting at an expansive wooden desk and thinking back on his time serving, Frank beams with pride and nostalgia as he reflects on his experience serving in the Navy, where he forged an unbreakable bond amongst those he served with. 

“When I was a child, if there wasn’t a veteran in your house, there was certainly one next door,” Frank said with a laugh, “They were everywhere.” 

When considering what it means to be a veteran, Frank weighed his words before speaking with pragmatic aplomb.

“My favorite definition of a veteran is someone who, at some point in their life, signed a check made payable to the government of the United States for an amount up to, and including, [their] life. Veterans are the ones who didn’t have those checks cashed.” 

Frank is a submarine veteran, and he spoke fondly of the seafarers he met and created a brotherhood with.

“I’m a submarine veteran, and I do enjoy the company of other boat sailors. But it doesn’t really matter which branch you served in. What’s important is that we served together even if we never met, and I’ll happily buy you a beer should we cross paths.”

Talking about the heroes he had the honor of meeting throughout his service, he sounds humbled by his experience, if not a little uncomfortable applying the term to himself. He gives  the impression he and other veterans simply did what anyone would when the country needed them. 

“I know a few heroes, but none of them are comfortable with that term,” Frank explained, “They took an oath and were in the wrong place at the wrong time. They did what they signed up to do. They were serving. Heroes is the term they use in your eulogy,” before chuckling and adding some foxhole humor to lighten the mood, “No one wants that.” 

“Today, active duty military is probably less than 1% of our total population. And I suppose if you take police officers and firefighters and all the other first responders who took the oath to put someone else’s interests in front of their own, it might swell to 3%.” 

After a moment of reflection, Frank added, “Think about that: 3% protecting the other 97% of us. So the next time you see someone like that, you should thank them for their service,” before smiling, “And perhaps buy them a beer.”

Because of this deep-rooted appreciation for your sacrifice, whether you’re a veteran or the family of a veteran, at Marcia L. Campbell, CPA, you can rest assured you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. So, from our family to yours, thank you for your service and sacrifice.

Related Article: Elder Care Financial Services: What Are Daily Money Managers for Seniors?

An elderly couple getting the answers to the question, What's the difference between a disbursement and distribution?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *